How to make Anelletti alla Palermitana, by Sicilian Chef Enzo Oliveri
Sicilian Chef Enzo Oliveri shares with you his recipe to make authentic Anelletti Alla Palermitana.
Quality ingredients and amazingly clever method. It is clear why this dish is a winner!
Sicilians eat Anelletti also during Ferragosto (Mid August Day).
Anelletti Al Forno
– Olive oil (200ml)
– Aubergine (4 slices)
– 1 Egg
– Peas (100 g)
– Anelletti pasta (300g)
– Bread crumbs (200g)
– Ham (2 slices)
– 1 small ball of mozzarella
– Cacio cavallo (50g)
– Peeled tomatoes (small tin)
– Wine (100ml)
– 1/4 white onion
– Lean mince (200g)
– 1 stick of celery
– 1 Carrot
– Dash of salt and black pepper
– Olive oil (100ml)
1) To cook the sauce, dice the onion very small. Put 2 table spoons of olive oil in the pot, when hot. Add the diced onion until golden. Dice the celery and carrot until small and add to the onion. Then after cooked add the mince meat and stir it. Cook until the meat turns brownish, add the wine and almost let it evaporate. Blend the peeled tomato into the pot together with salt and pepper for at least 1 hour in a very low heat. (Stir in the duration). When cooked let it cool.
2) Boil the peas and let them cool.
3) Drain the 4 slices of Aubergine with the salt and black pepper for 6 hours. Then fry and let it cool.
4) Bill the pasta until ‘al dente’ and let it cool.
5) Get a bows cover the inside with oil and sprinkle the breadcrumbs until sticks
6) Lay the slices of Aubergine and mix some of the sauce with the peas and pasta
7) Do another layer with it until half bowl, then add the chopped egg, ham, whole peas and some more sauce, also cacio cavallo. Top it up with mixed pasta and finish it with another sprinkle of breadcrumbs and bake for 20 mins.
8) And serve upside down.